Followers

Pages

Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Taboo of death

So if there is one thing about me, everyone knows- I am death positive.
   Whoa! Hold your horses, what do I mean by death positive? To me it means that I accept the fact we all die eventually and that I should not shy away from it. That everything I do in my life, is somehow affected by this, that I will eventually die. It does not mean, I am not terrified of dying- far from it! I am terrified of what comes after death- if there is anything. The fear for death for me is, leaving the ones I love behind.
  But for the purpose of today on this blog, I will be talking about my views on certain things and what i find fascinating.


The taboo 

Death is taboo. Why? Everyone dies. That is very true- everyone dies. But we prolong life. if someone is for example, in a coma and has no chance of waking up- we will put them on life supports for example. (Do not hate me, I am using this as an example, I am not ridiculing anyone for doing this. I myself, would most likely do the same in the situation as I do not want to lose that person).
   Why? Why do we have this sudden fear of death?
   Death is a great source of anxiety. Hell, even i have anxiety over it! Most people are not prepared emotionally, mentally or physically for death. So yes, it can cause a huge amount of anxiety for people! So no one wishes to talk about the subject, for fear of upsetting themselves or others around them.
  Society is also to blame. Why?
Society paints a picture of enteral youth. For example, why are most of the actresses and actors within Hollywood young? Why do we not see a lot of older actors? (this is whole another thing but I am using it to prove my point). We grow old- we do not stay young forever. Society has also taught us to shield children from a very young age about death.
  It was very different in past centuries. Death was a normal way of life. People spoke very  openly about death but in this century, we do not. Now this could be down to numerous reasons from both world wars...etc.
But I do not think death should be taboo.

cannibalism. 

Thats a heavy topic Marie. Cannibalism is very frowned upon in society and rightly so in some contexts. However, did you know there are certain cultures, that when their loved one dies, they use funeral cannibalism? To society this is horrifying and from a scientific stand point- it has many problems within in this practice.

But cannibalism as put by Bill Schutt, is not as uncommon as we think it is. There are animals that cannibalise and it is normal for them. Now do not get me wrong, I am not saying cannibalism should be a thing. I do not think it should be a thing, but I do not think we should look at cultures that have death practices with it as wrong or immoral.

Embalming 

  I do not agree with embalming at all. However, it does not mean I will push these views onto others. In some certain places it is needed. First of, what is embalming?
  Embalming is the act of using formaldehyde and replacing the bodies fluids with this chemical. it is an act of preserving the body after death and keeping the person, looking as if they have not died and simply fallen asleep. It has been practiced in my any forms, for thousands of years.  Embalming does not stop decaying.
   So why is that a bad thing?
Well for one embalming fluid is incredibly poisonous for the environment and the Embalmers. Embalming fluid is a known cancer causing fluid (carcinogen) and can kill. When a person has been embalmed, they have to be placed into a lead lined coffin (which adds expense for the family), then a steel vault (which adds even more expense).
   Funeral directors (some) will not say this. Embalming is a person in the UK costs around £75 to £200 and in the USA $725. You then need to add the cost of makeup on top of that, a coffin and the steel vault. Funeral directions will also tell you it is necessary for a viewing- it is not.
  There are two types of embalming. One is through the arterial veins within the body and the other is cavity embalming. Both use a long needle called a trocar. It is a long needle that is very sharp and has many holes on the sides.
Within embalming fluid the Embalmer will add a dye to match the persons skin, so the person has a life like appearance.
   When should embalming be used?
Embalming should be used if it is needed. (this is my view). For example, if you are transporting a body to another country. That is when embalming is needed.

Do eyes stay closed like in the movies?
No. Simply put.
   I have helped morticians set facial features and close eyes. Morticians have different ways in which they can do this. Eye caps or cotton. I have put eye caps onto peoples eyes and they work fairly well. They are plastic and look a little bigger than eye contacts. Morticians can also use spiky eye contacts.
  But why do eyes stay open after death?
This is because all the muscles within the body relax. Rigor mortis does not last forever!

Do I agree with assisted dying?
What is assisted dying? It is where the person who is terminally ill (no chance of recovery), will be helped to die. As of yet, it is not legal in the UK. It is like euthanasia but, euthanasia is where death is brought about for the sake of the dying person as it is thought to be in their best interest. (also involuntary euthanasia and voluntary euthanasia).
   I agree with this. Why? To me, if I was dying and it was going to get a lot worse towards the end of my life and my family would suffer- I would not want them to go through that pain and have memories of me being critically ill. I would choose to do this. It is also giving the person the right to choose when they die and have a 'good death'. (Good death can be in many forms.). I believe it is a persons right to choose if they are critically and terminally ill.

What about the death penalty?

I do not agree with it at all. I believe a person who may have committed a heinous crime, should be put to death. Having my freedom and everything else taken away from me, is the worse punishment. There has also been cases within the USA that people killed with this, have been innocent. There is also the growing concern of POC being placed on death row, because of their colour and as I have noticed, mental capability. (Intelligence...etc.) and people with bad mental health issues.
  I have never agreed with it.
Thats all i have to say. It makes me quite angry.

What about cultures with different death rituals?
I am all for it! In fact I want to visit a specific death culture that brings out their dead each year and performs rituals. For example, they dress and wash their dead. I think that is wonderful! If I had the choice, i would like all culture to be this death positive and view death as another stage and not shy away from it.

Natural burial?
I am all for natural burial. It means no embalming- nothing! You can have a wicker coffin/casket or a shroud. You are placed four feet in the ground instead of the usual six and flowers grow where you are.
I am all for it and considering as my option for when I pass.

So  thats all I have for this issue on death...stay tuned for whenever I get around to part two!

No comments:

Post a Comment