Followers

Pages

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Mercy by Jodi Picoult

Book: Mercy
Author: Jodi Picoult
Year written: 1996
Synopsis: When Jamie Macdonald killed his wife, he knew he might face a life sentence. But wht was life in a world without Maggie? The case divides the small town of Wheelock. James Macdonald has confessed to premeditated murder= Murder One. For his cousin Police Chief Cameron Macdonald, there’s no question this man should be arrested and tired- family blood ties or not. But for Cameron;s wife Allie, its not so clear-cut. She loves her husband more than life itself. If he were suffering and asked for her hel to die, she knows she would do anything for him. Now, for the first time in their marriage, she finds hersel set against Cam, siding it’s Jamie and wondering if wht he says is right: that in a relationship, there’s always one who loves one more....

Mercy by Jodi Picoult   Okay, so I started Mercy on the 19th of April and finished it on the 28th of Apirl. I enjoyed the book at the beginning. But near the end I could not carry on anymore. It was beginning to get repetitive I felt. I love Jodi Picoult books, do not get me wrong but this one....I struggled with.

So for the first part of the review I want to start with Allie. Cam's wife in the book. Allie is a good character and I fell she could have been so much more! Jodi started doing this and then...she redacted Allie back to being under Cam's thumb. I feel that Allie should have divorced Cam when she found out he was having an affair with Mia. Like...that part where she said she was not going to divorce him? That super annoyed me. Like I understand the premise of the book was about how loved each other more and stuff but still...She could still deeply love him (more) but still leave him. It felt like it was redacting the character she had built up so quickly, then put back to what she was at the beginning, where she would not argue with her husband. It has really annoyed me she did that.  Almost like saying that she needs a man to survive, which is not true. I think from what we saw of Allie, she could survive very easily without a man.

Cam. Now lets move onto Cam. I hate him. No simple way around that. He annoyed me from the get go. Then gave me an actual reason to hate him. I really did not like him and don't have much else to say on him...

Mia. She is the one who Cam had affair with! Now I actually liked her as a character because she was different and plus she had a cat. She was not the typical woman and I liked it. But when she betrayed Allie's trust and had an affair with her husband? I did not like that. Or the fact she seemed to be hinting that she had followed Cam. SO there issues with her character. I would have liked it if she had not had the affair with Cam or admitted she loved him and he said no.

Jamie. Now I did like him as a character as he made you think. If you had a wife/husband and they were dying from cancer and had no chance of surviving it. would you kill them? As stated, I do not think there is one way to answer this. Cause as the name of the book suggests, if it a mercy killing or  a murder? We know what the law says but what about euthanasia? I agree with euthanasia as I believe it is the persons right if they are dying to say, I would like to die now- if they know there is no chance of surviving it. So I liked that he got put on trial and everything.

The plot of the story was well thought off and researched, as most of her books are but as stated they are some aspects I just did not like. Like the affair between Cam and Mia. it made it feel redundant and lose the gritty aspect to me.  I felt like it took away from the story. I know it happens in real life but still.

I liked the slight mysticism in this book as well. From the flowers (cannot remember which they were) wilting or shirking back at Mia's fingers as put them in the church for the wedding. Or the mother of Cam using plants to make concoctions and potions. I like the little aspects in the book that also made it very interesting. I wished it had more of a plot the mother to be fair.

As always, her books are very well written. I just did not like the copious amount of sex scenes in it. Which mainly between Allie and Cam or Cam and Mia. Like a few are fine for the story- but stop with the amount I felt was in there. I was not reading this book for the sex scenes!

All in all the book was very good but...there were a few things I would have changed or done differently. Also remember I could not finish this book. That in itself shows you I was beginning to not enjoy the book!

~Molly Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment